Monday, March 25, 2013

About Bloglovin' and the whole Google Reader thingy

Hey guys!

I think by now most of you have heard about Google Reader shutting down on July 1, 2013.
While I'm still not quite clear about what this means for feedburner and GFC, it's definitely going to be minor chaos and a big incovenience for both bloggers and their readers/followers!

I originally wanted to wait a while for this to blow over and to see what other people are doing about this issue. Many seem to be switching to Bloglovin' as an alternative. You can easily import all your blogs from Google Reader. I'm not as happy with the layout and stuff of Bloglovin' as I am with the blog roll on my Blogger dash, but if it does collapse in July I guess I can make do. My problem is that I just find it hard to differentiate with all these feeds and how Google Reader shutting down affects certain things on my blog because even though I added them, I don't fully understand some of them to be honest. For instance, if you've subscribed via email, I think this works via feedburner. And how long Google will keep that is anyone's guess...

So I want to give you guys alternatives. You can already use Feedcat to subscribe to this blog, and what I like about it is that it gives you many options to share content, subscribe via various readers and also by email. You can find that button right above the GFC widget.

What's new is the Bloglovin' button you guys can now also use to subscribe if you've switched to their service, as I know quite a lot of bloggers have. It's right below GFC.

And of course I'm keeping the Networked Blogs widget, as well! It can deliver links to my new posts right into your Facebook timeline.

So yes... I just wanted to keep you as updated as I can! I hope you will stick with me through this transition, even in the case that GFC will be eliminated too (let's hope not!!). I want to make following as convenient for you as I can, so here's a question to you:
Are there other following methods you would like me to add? Linky, for instance? Let me know in the comments, and give me your suggestions there. What are you going to use once Google Reader is down?

7 comments:

  1. I actually just stumbled upon your blog through bloglovin'! Followed there and here via GFC! I was so worried that Google reader would take down GFC too but at least it is here to stay for now! I like giving my readers an alternative too but I don't want my sidebar too cluttered. I really like Linky, except I don't think people ever check it.

    Check out my blog too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I had no idea my blog was that searchable on bloglovin'! Happy you found me :) And I agree, I don't think most people really check linky, and I also dislike cluttered sidebars...

      Delete
  2. Love Bloglovin! Following through it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to get used to it first but it's fairly similar to what I have right now so I guess I'll learn to deal :)

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean - how long feedburner will last is anyone's guess. I was honestly just getting used to following blogs w/o GFC on Reader too >.< I really love how you set up your post here, I should have also listed that I use feedcat, and still on NB & GFC (for however long that one lasts too)

    Anyways, confusion aside, I obviously already follow you via Bloglovin hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! I was getting used to following wordpress blogs via feedburner/google reader and then importing them into the blogger dash blogroll so I have everything in one place *sigh* It's just all so annoying and I hate Google's info management.

      Delete
  4. As soon as I heard the news I imported all my blogs from Google Reader to Feedly. It's nice and easy to use, but I think I'm now loving Bloglovin' more :) And it's cool that you can browse "similar blogs". Only now I'm presented with a mess of a sidebar, and I still need to add the NB widget :/

    Btw thank you so much for your kind words on my last post. Big hugs <3

    ReplyDelete