Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Armchair BEA introduction



Hey guys :) Since BEA is in New York and I'm stuck back here in Switzerland, I've decided to take part in Armchair BEA because it sounds like a fun event!

For those of you who don't know me yet, here's an introduction:

  1. Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?
    I'm 24 year old Swiss student (working on my English Lit MA) and part-time office worker who has always loved to read. I prefer English books to German ones. I've been blogging for close to a year and previously to that I was following various blogs for another year or so, before deciding that I wanted to be a real part of the community instead of just watching from the sidelines :) I've found that I really enjoy discussing with others and obsessing over books on the net! I also enjoy the contact with authors and the privilege to get to read books early.

  2. What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2013?
    There were sooo many that I enjoyed!! I finally read Brenna Yovanoff's The Replacement, which blew me away. I ached so much while reading it... in the best way. Other highlights were The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay, Divergent by Veronica Roth (yes, I'm late to the party but damn what an awesome book!), Just One Day by Gayle Forman, and In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winter.

  3. Tell us one non-book-related thing that everyone reading your blog may not know about you.
    I like a lot of pretty hard music like metalcore, but I also enjoy acoustic bands. Some of my favorites: AFI, Parkway Drive, As I Lay Dying, Funeral For A Friend, Story of the Year, Young Guns, Nightwish, Motionless in White, Asking Alexandria, Paramore, City and Colour, Alkaline Trio, Danko Jones, HIM, Social Distortion, Nine Inch Nails, Placebo... I could go on for a while ^^''

  4. If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why?
    *overload of possibilities* errrm... Oscar Wilde? He'd be a witty conversationalist, and he'd make sure the afterparty is unforgettable. But I'd also love to meet Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, or Melissa Marr and lots of others! As for characters, I have  a soft spot for Will Herondale. Magnus Bane would also be fun XD There are sooo many others! But with some of them I'm not sure I'd like to meet them, no matter how intriguing they may be (hint: Jerico Barrons).

  5. What literary location would you most like to visit? Why?
    Not sure what's meant by literary location. A place famous for its poets/writers? A place/world from inside a book? I think of the former I've been to quite a few - I was lucky enough to visit Oscar Wilde's grave before it was walled in behind glass, I've been to Westminster Abbey, and to Dublin. I'd love to visit New York and San Francisco though! Those are also 'literary' cities to me.
    As for book worlds, that's always a double-edged sword because horrible things tend to happen in them ^^' That being said, I'd like to see Wonderland, Hogwarts, or the world from Kim Harrison's The Hollows series. The world in Lia Habel's Dearly, Departed also fascinated me. Or Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus! I remember mourning the fact that I could never experience its wonders for real.

Alright, that's it from me! I hope you have a somewhat better picture of who I am now :) I'd love to get to know you! If you leave a comment and link me back to your post, I'll be sure to check it out! Even more so if we have favorite books (or maybe bands?) in common ;)

    7 comments:

    1. I love Switzerland! I've been there so many times on holiday now! It is a long trek though to get to BEA.
      Hope you enjoy armchair BEA though!
      Chelle

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Cool! What part do you usually go to? The alps? The cities? Sunny Ticino? But yes, it's a long way...
        Thanks! I just commented on your post :)

        Delete
    2. I'm far from BEA, too, but I also don't have time to do Armchair BEA. :( Still, I love these introduction posts! :) Also, metalcore, huh? That's not that surprising...I used to listen to a lot of metal, but my tastes have changed A LOT in the last few years. My husband actually was in a metal band when we met. And now he listens to country music. Go figure. :P

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Awesome, I never would have guessed! :D What bands were you & your husband into?
        I think it's kind of 'normal' that the taste changes over time... I can't picture myself listening to rap or pop or 'club music' stuff though. Ever.

        Delete
    3. The places you mentioned to visit are great! I would love to visit Dublin, lucky you! Have fun this week!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! Dublin is wonderful, I hope you'll get to go too in the foreseeable time :)

        Delete
    4. heh, that's cool how you prefer English books, my 1st language is French but I too prefer to read (and write) in English XD All your favorite books of the year are on my reading list - except Divergent of course! Oscar Wilde, Neil Gaiman, Marissa Marr & Stephen King are good choices...so is Magnus Bane, though I'd definitely go for meeting Barrons! *ME-OW* !! I too want to visit Westminster Abbey, London, HOGWARTS & Underland! Though I've yet to read the Hallows series or The Night Circus, I am dying to ( I own Dead Witch Walking AND The Night Circus so I have no excuse!) Anyways thanks for sharing, I always like to read any and all of your ''getting to know me''-type posts ♥

      ReplyDelete